9.27.2009

Filling her compact & delicious body
with chicken páprika, she glanced at me
twice.
Fainting with interest, I hungered back
and only the fact of her husband & four other people
kept me from springing on her

or falling at her little feet and crying
'You are the hottest one for years of night
Henry's dazed eyes
have enjoyed, Brilliance.'...
--John Berryman, Dream Song 4

In 20th Century American Poetry I was asked to defend John Berryman to my classmates because I was the only person out of thirty who actually liked the guy. I remember using the word "sexy" a lot.

3 comments:

phiiillll said...

The devil and John Berryman
Took a walk together.
They ended up on Washington
Talking to the river.
He said “I’ve surrounded myself with doctors
And deep thinkers.
But big heads with soft bodies
Make for lousy lovers.”
There was that night that we thought John Berryman could fly.
But he didn’t

So he died.

SAM said...

Welcome to the Army of Males Who Wish Sam had Better Taste in Music (Or at Least Liked The Hold Steady More).

phiiillll said...

haha it's actually cooler to not like any of the bands you're supposed to like