7.26.2009

MY POSSIBLE FUTURE DAUGHTER WILL READ EVERY JUDY BLUME NOVEL (SUMMER SISTERS CAN COME LATER)

"Stephanie is into hunks," my mother said to my aunt on Sunday afternoon. They were in the kitchen making potato salad and I was stretched out on the grass in our yard, reading. But the kitchen window was wide open so I could hear every word my mother and aunt were saying. I wasn't paying much attention though, until I heard my name.

At first I wasn't sure what my mother meant by Stephanie is into hunks, but I got the message when she added, "She's taped a poster of Richard Gere on the ceiling above her bed. She says she likes to look up at him while she's trying to fall asleep at night."

"Oh-oh," Aunt Denise said. "You'd better have a talk with her."

"She already knows about the birds and the bees," Mom said.

"Yes, but what does she know about boys?" Aunt Denise asked.
--Judy Blume, Just As Long As We're Together

I probably read this book more than any other and have Judy Blume to thank for getting through adolescence.

No comments: